Originally this house belonged to a wealthy family who lived in the early 20th century in Tho Loc Commune, Tho Xuan District, Thanh Hoa Province.
Mrs Hoi’s family’s main house, built in 1906, had 5 rooms including a living room where they received guests, worshipped ancestors, and the head of the household’s space. This room was passed down to Mrs Hoi’s eldest son, then to her grandson and great-eldest son. The ancestors' altar was carved with stylized flowers, dragons, and phoenixes. Many Chinese characters are engraved on the walls and along the beams and lintels.
This house was enlarged in 1933 adding 5 rooms that were used for teaching and for Mrs.Hoi's bedroom. The detached structure, built in 1937, was built for a great-grandson. The entire family shared the kitchen and dining room.
Because of strong typhoons in the region and a regulation that forbid houses from being higher than the village's communal house, these houses maintained a low profile. In the village, the main house was oriented to face south; at the Museum, due to lack of space, it faces north.